For 4 people
2 Eggplant nice and ripe
500g Cherry Tomato
20 Fresh basil leaves
200g Prosciutto Cotto thinly sliced
500ml Di Besciamella sauce
1 Cup of grated Parmigiano Reggiano
Vegetable oil to shallow fry
Salt to taste
- Slice the eggplant and place them into a colander. Sprinkle them with salt and let them rest for 1 hour to release some of their water and bitter flavour.
- In the meantime in a small sauce pan cook the cherry tomato with 1 tablespoon of extra-virgin olive oil for 10 minutes adding salt and the basil leaves. If the sauce reduces too much add a little water.
- Tap the eggplant dry and dust them with some flour. Shallow fry them in a large pan with vegetable oil for 3 minutes each side. Fish them out and place them on a large plate with a paper towel to soak up the excess oil.
- In a large baking dish place one layer of eggplant slices then pour some tomato sauce, Besciamella sauce and a sprinkle of grated Parmigiano. Layer the Prosuctto Cotto slices and make another layer with the eggplant, tomato etc
- Lastly, cover with the rest of tomato sauce, Besciamella sauce and grated Parmigiano
- Bake in the oven at 180 degrees for 15/20 minutes.